Heritage Plaza contains two of the oldest structures in Jackson County, homes that predate the Civil War. The Flournoy home contains period items of the 1830s and has ties to the early days of Independence and of Latter Day Saints in Jackson County; the Stallcup home contains items from the 1940s when it was the home of the 3rd president of Community of Christ (Frederick M. Smith). Both homes provide insight into the early life of settlers at the beginning of the trails West. The third home was built by Dr. Joseph Luff in 1908. He was the first administrator of the Independence Sanitarium when it opened in 1909. It was the city's primary hospital for many years.