Five fun things to do with the kids during February school vacation
Afraid the kids will get a little squirrelly during school vacation? Don't want to break the bank heading south for warmer climes or north for mountain tops?
Here are five fun things to do with the kids on Cape Cod this February vacation.
1. Catch a wave: Doesn't matter how cold it is outside--it's warm and inviting at the Cape Codder Resort & Spa's indoor wave pool in Hyannis. The 8,2,000 square foot pool has 2' waves and waterslides. Guests of the hotel enjoy free admission. Not staying at the resort? Purchase daily pool passes online here. 1225 Iyannough Road, Hyannis, MA. (Note: the resort will unveil a water park this summer complete with body slides, a lazy river and more.
2. Get warm and fuzzy: Kids will have a blast (and learn a little something too) at one of the Cape's nature centers. The Cape Cod Museum of Natural History in Brewster and Mass. Audubon's Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary in Wellfleet have a week of fun planned for families. CCMNH is hosting a Nature Recess and WBWS has planned February Vacation Adventures for two age groups (5-7 and 8-11). CCMNH is at 896 Main Street, Brewster and WBWS is at 291 State Highway, South Wellfleet.
3. Bundle up & hit the shore: Adults will like this one--parking is free this time of year. Make sure everybody has a warm jacket, gloves and hat for an invigorating walk along the beach. It isn't the same as grilling in the sun in August. You'll mostly have the beach to yourself and you'll be able to do some serious beachcombing (head to Hyannis for some crafting supplies and the family can create an awesome souvenir). You'll see birds and if you are really lucky, maybe even a seal or whale!
4. See Shrek: The big green guy will be making an appearance in Harwich this February. "Shrek: Musical" is playing at the Harwich Junior Theatre from February 12 through March 6. Donkey, Fiona and all your favorites will be in Harwich Friday nights at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m. There are also special school vacation shows 2/16, 2/17 and 2/18 at 2 p.m. Buy tickets online here. 105 Division Street, West Harwich.
5. Let the chips fall where they may: Take a tour of Cape Cod's very own potato chip factory. Cape Cod Potato Chips are made in Hyannis. In fact, if the wind is right, you can smell the delicious chips cooking for miles around the factory. The factory is open for tours Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (closed weekends and holidays). Tours are self-guided and free. According to the Cape Cod Potato Chips website, more than 250,000 people visit the factory at 100 Breed's Hill Road in Hyannis each year. Best of all, the tour ends with a free sample!
ARTICLE | 02/07/2016 - 8:00PM | BY MAGGIE KULBOKAS
This February vacation, follow the gull tracks to the Cape Cod Potato Chip Factory in Hyannis. Photo by Maggie Kulbokas.
You are not logged in. To login or create an account please click here